Business Turbine Aircraft Accidents: Worldwide and the Middle East
Tuesday, 18 October 2011
By Robert E. Breiling*
The emerging and Middle Eastern business turbine aircraft market, jets and turboprops, is growing as is their accident/incident involvement. Although relatively few accidents have occurred to date involving the Middle East in comparison to the world market, this market should learn from history and what has occurred in other parts of the world.
Worldwide in 2010, 29 business jet and 80 business turboprop accidents occurred. 20 of these accidents resulted in fatalities. The predominance of these accidents, both jets and turboprops, involved the North American fleet, 56 % of the accidents, however, the North American fleet, comprising both jets and turboprops comprise 62% of the world active fleet.
The Asian and African fleets combined have only been involved in 8 turboprop accidents in 2010 however, over the 5 year period, 2006-2010, 54 accidents including 20 fatal accidents occurred . Based on the fleet size over the same 5 year period, Asia had 5.5 % of the world active fleet and Africa 4.0% or combined, 9.5% of the world active fleet yet were involved in 11% of the accidents worldwide over the same period.
These growing markets should learn from the experience of the world’s fleet who have been operating these aircraft for years as much can be learned from their accident involvement . Where, what phase of flight, are the accidents occurring in, what are the primary cause factors, what has been done or can be done to reduce these accidents.
Business jet fleet accidents worldwide over the past 5 year period, 2006-2010, occurred in the following major phases of flight. Landing 54.4%, Approach 10.6%, Takeoff 9.5%, Climb 6.5%, Cruise 4.1%, Descent 3.8% and Maneuver 1.2%.
The turboprop fleet experience, over the same period, occurred in the following phases.
Landing 43.4%, Approach 16.8%, Climb 10.6%, Cruise 9.6%, Takeoff 7.5%, Maneuver 5.4%, Descent 9.6% Too few biz jet accidents have occurred in Africa and Asia the past 5 years to draw conclusions however the majority of the turboprop accidents for the 5 year period occurred in the landing phase, 32 accidents followed by 10 accidents during approach out of the 54 accidents reported.
Aircraft Specific Accident Analysis
Learn from the experience of others as major accident cause factors continue to reoccur. Safety in the skies begins with being aware of the accidents that your airplane has been involved in and where the accidents are occurring.
• Business jets have been involved in 1,927 accidents and major incidents resulting in 1,365 fatalities worldwide since aircraft introduction through 2010
• U.S. business turboprops have been involved in 1,889 accidents and major incidents resulting in 1,294 fatalities over the same period
• Specific aircraft series were involved in the following listed accidents and major incidents since initial operation in the business fleet:
|BAe 125 Series ||144||Beech King Air Series ||742|
|Beech 400/MU-300/Premier 5 ||83 ||Cessna Conquest/Corsair ||90|
|Challenger Series||58 ||Gulfstream 1||29|
|Citation Series||460||Mitsubish MU-2||259|
|Falcon Series ||197||Merlin Series ||201|
|Gulfstream Series||115||Piper Navajo/Cheyenne Series ||126|
|IAI Series ||107||Turbo Commander Series||174|
|Lear Series ||540 ||Sabre Series||120 |
|Jetstar 33 PC12,TBM700,PA-46TP, CE-208||363|| || |
Many of the above accidents that were attributed to human error, reoccurring maintenance or mechanical malfunctions, may have been prevented if knowledge of prior accident causes were known. An overview of the entire business jet and turboprop fleet as measured against similar parameters including specific aircraft accident rates enables the user to compare the experience of a specific aircraft to others as well as to the jet or turboprop fleet overall.
Specific aircraft series accident analysis and statistical comparative data is an invaluable guide to aviation department managers, flight safety management, business aircraft operators and operating crews. Each analysis contains a summary of every accident involving the particular aircraft since introduction to the business fleet and comparative accident statistics of similar aircraft since certification through 2010.
*Robert E. Breiling Associates has been compiling business turbine aircraft accidents worldwide Since the early 1980’s and has published an “Annual Business Turbine Aircraft Accident Review” each year identifying by aircraft, phase of accident, cause, accident rates of each aircraft etc. for more information see this web site, www.breilinginc.com or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
For all aircraft accidents in the region you may refer to the Air Safety section in this portal
The above photos details:
Type: Cessna 550 Citation II, Photographer: NTSB, Registration: N262Y Date: OCT 2010, Operator: Colnan Inc.Taken at: Manteo-Dare County Regional Airport, NC (MEO/)